local & national resources
• Entrepreneurial spirit is inherent to RISD students & alumni.
• Be informed of entrepreneurial opportunities through these resources.
• Take advantage of workshops, events, seminars & bootcamps.
RISD Entrepreneur Newsletter
• Highlights entrepreneurial workshops, events, resources & opportunities available to RISD students and those who have joined our listserv.
• Want to be added to our listserv. Send your email address to:
Alan Tracy at firstname.lastname@example.org
RISD conferences, bootcamps & seminars
Regional Resources for Entrepreneurs
• Detailed listing of 50+ organizations & resources for entrepreneurs to access in the Providence & Rhode Island area.
Commerce RI Business Navigator
• The RI Commerce Corporation online portal helps businesses navigate the public sector, find financing vehicles, utilize state incentives, and find resources.
10,000 Small Businesses RI
• Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses is a program that helps small businesses grow and create jobs by providing them with greater access to education, financial capital and business-support services.
• Site provides key information on resources, educational opportunities, funding sources, and overall connectivity in and around Providence.
• Providence-based mentorship-driven startup accelerator program for young technology and design entrepreneurs.
• Helps Rhode Island’s digital innovators connect, collaborate, and ultimately make the City-State and its geeks info-technology leaders.
Social Enterprise Greenhouse
• SE Greenhouse provides a comprehensive support system to inspire, start, grow, and sustain successful social enterprises.
CWE - Center for Women & Enterprise
• CWE offers education, training, technical assistance and access to debt and equity capital to entrepreneurs at every stage of development.
The Providence Lady Project
• The PVD Lady Project connects, inspires and showcases awesome women doing amazing things in Providence through membership, events and community engagement.
RI Small Business Development Center
• The Small Business Development Center provides entrepreneurs with best fit resources to create, transform and grow their businesses.
Social Innovation Initiative - Swearer Center - Brown University
• Promotes an open culture of collaborative learning and community impact with programming focused in venture development.
Brown Summer Innovation B-Lab
• The B-Lab is an eight-week experiential, immersive program in entrepreneurial leadership open to Brown and RISD students.
Brown University Entrepreneurship Program
• Brown EP is a student-run organization that acts as the extra-curricular side to entrepreneurial learning.
• PechaKucha is as an event for young designers to meet, network, & show their work in public. PechaKucha nights take place in Providence.
Business Innovation Factory
• BIF host an annual conference & focuses on solving major problems in areas like healthcare, education and energy independence.
Rhode Island Business Plan Competition
• The RI-Biz Plan Competition, open to everyone, seeks to promote entrepreneurship & development of start-up & early stage companies.
• Hatch Entrepreneurial Center is a co-work space for passionate professionals, curious creators, and future business leaders of Rhode Island.
• Builds connections within the Boston entrepreneur ecosystem through increased awareness of opportunities & their excellent newsletter.
• Techstars provides significant seed funding, intensive mentorship, and an amazing network of mentors and alumni for 7-10% equity in companies.
regional incubators, accelerators, & competitions
Google Tools For Entrepreneurs
• Google Tools for Entrepreneurs provides free weekly video lessons ranging from business, marketing, and tech classes taught by leading experts.
Design for America
• DFA is a nationwide network of interdisciplinary student teams, including RISD/Brown, using design to create local & social impact.
• Creative-Startups provides an intensive course in Creative Entrepreneurship, connections with creative entrepreneurs, and access to investors.
NYFA Arts Business Incubator
• The NYFA ABI explores the best practices associated with running a startup in the arts. Participants receive coaching, mentoring, and subsidized professional services.
• The first museum-led incubator is a shared workspace and professional development program designed to support creative practitioners working in the areas of art, technology, and design.
Venture for America
• VFA is a program for talented grads to spend 2 years in the trenches of a start-up with the goal to revitalize American cities.
Design Entrepreneur NYC
• DENYC is a program for emerging fashion designers in NYC to participate in a free "mini-MBA" to gain business skills and cash awards for their business.
• A global network of passionate entrepreneurs on a mission to inspire, educate, and empower individuals, teams & communities.
The Startup Guide
• The Guide gives advice for future entrepreneurs who want to build a big company while creating sustainable value for society at-large.
• Whether you’re an engineer, artist, financial wizard, or entrepreneur, Upstart believes the most important startup is you.
• 500 Startups provides early-stage companies with up to $250K & helps them succeed in ways other venture firms do not.
• The Designer Fund is an angel fund of designers which provides angel funding, mentorship, & connections to entrepreneurial designers.
• Think Big partners with top schools and students to help start ups recruit high level talent in tech and creative roles.
online career library - business & freelance links
RISDENTREPRENEUR - Business & Freelance Info
• 200+ sites for entrepreneurship, business, freelance, & marketing.