making it as a fine artist
• Career opportunities range from professional studio art practices to related fields that rely on the knowledge, expertise, and problem-solving skills gained through a fine arts education.
• It's critical to build relationships and pathways to opportunities that will both develop and support your art practice.
• Perseverance is essential!
setting up your studio
• Create a dedicated space in which to create your work.
• Resources for finding space dedicated to affordable artist housing.
presenting yourself professionally
• WEBSITE & PORTFOLIO
• ARTIST STATEMENT
• MARKETING & SELF-PROMOTION
• PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS
building relationships & networking
• GALLERIES & REPRESENTATION
• ART AGENCIES - U.S. & INTERNATIONAL
• ART COLLECTORS
enhancing your professional development
• RISD CAREER PROGRAMS
• ESSENTIAL CAREER BOOKS
• ARTIST RESIDENCIES
finding exhibition & sales opportunities
• LOCATING EXHIBITION VENUES
• ART CENTERS & ARTS ORGANIZATIONS
• ALTERNATIVE SPACES
• CURATE AN EXHIBITION
• SELLING AND PRICING ART
• CORPORATE ART MARKET
• ART FAIRS - WHOLESALE/RETAIL
legal and financial issues
• UNDERSTANDING CONTRACTS AND LAW
• ARTIST STUDIO PROTECTION & BUSINESS INSURANCE
• ART SALES TRACKING AND MANAGEMENT TOOLS
exploring teaching opportunities
• ARTIST WORKSHOPS
• CONTINUING EDUCATION PROGRAMS
• ART CENTERS & ORGANIZATIONS
• ART TEACHING RESOURCES